This is the most delicious pie in the world. Thanks to modern technology you can make it at any time during the year but it so perfectly captures summer. The super sweet berries are balanced by the tartness of the Granny Smith apples, fresh squeezed lemon juice and rhubarb. Because of all the fresh fruit I like to pretend that this is a “healthy” dessert.
I don’t usually make a pie crust when making this delicious pie. Pillsbury makes a refrigerated roll out pie crust that I am a big fan of using when making my pies. Although you can certainly use frozen fruit, the pie won’t be quite as mouthwatering. I have left out rhubarb when I haven’t been able to find it and I have substituted blackberries for raspberries.
- Prep time-30 minutes
- Cook time-1 hour
- Total time-1.5 hours
- 2 large Granny Smith apples (peeled, cored and sliced)
- 1 cup of fresh hulled and halved strawberries
- 1 cup of fresh raspberries
- 1 cup of fresh blueberries
- 1 cup of rhubarb (fresh rhubarb isn’t always easy to find so use frozen if you need to)
- 1 lemon juiced
- ¾ cup of white sugar
- ½ cup of flour
- 1 15 oz package of pie crusts, deep dish (I use the Pillsbury roll-out pie crusts)
- Combine first 8 ingredients in a large bowl, stirring gently.
- Put ingredients into pie crust and bake at 400 degrees F for 25 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees F and bake for 25-30 more minutes.
- Remove pie from oven and let cool for an hour.