It seems like everyone has a favorite baked pasta dish and we are no exception. We love baked pasta in any form, however my hubs is a big fan of protein so we use plenty of beef, pork, chicken, or turkey. For this dish I have used hamburger however you and substitute any ground protein. We like to serve this dish with garlic bread and a tossed salad. Yummm!
As some of you know, I’m a fan of keeping things simple. For the Bolognese sauce I use Trader Joe’s Bolognese sauce and I keep several jars in my pantry at all times. I can’t say enough about how good this sauce really tastes, and frankly I can’t tell the difference between this sauce and homemade other than the time homemade Bolognese sauce takes to make. Seriously!
Now, don’t stop reading when you see this recipe calls for cottage cheese, yes cottage cheese. Just so you know I hate cottage cheese however the little bit of tang the cottage cheese provides is great. Just don’t tell anyone it has cottage cheese in the recipe!
This dish is rich, robust, and creamy. Trust me, you’ll want to make this for dinner soon! This recipe is so easy and doesn’t require a lot of ingredients. Plus, it’s better the next day!
BAKED BOLOGNESE NOODLES WITH BEEF
Prep time 20 mins Cook time 30 mins Total time 50 mins
This dish is great with garlic bread and a tossed salad. Enjoy!
Makes about 8 – 10 servings, depending on how big you cut your pieces
- 2 pounds ground beef, browned and drained (you can also use one-pound ground beef and one-pound ground pork or turkey, or chicken, depending on what you like. There is no right or wrong just make sure you have 2 pounds of your protein)
- 1 – 1 ½ jars Trader Joe’s Bolognese sauce (I use 1 ½ jars because we like the consistency to be saucy)
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 bag wide egg noodles (about 8 ounces)
- 1 cup small curd cottage cheese
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded cheese (I use a Mexican blend from Costco, however you can use cheddar, or a cheddar blend)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large pot brown the meat over medium heat. Season the meat with black pepper and salt. Cook until no longer pink.
- Drain the grease and then transfer the meat back to the pot and add the Bolognese sauce. Simmer on medium heat until heated through.
- Cook the noodles until they are al dente and drain. Set the noodles aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the cottage cheese, cream cheese and sour cream. Mix together until fully incorporated.
- Add the egg noodles to the cheese mixture and combine so all the noodles are coated with the cheese mixture.
- Grease or spray a 9×13 inch pan and layer with half of the noodles. Add half of the Bolognese mixture, and repeat with the remaining noodle mixture and Bolognese mixture.
- Add the 2 cups cheese on top and cover the entire pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Enjoy!